Chapters

September 3, 2010

Hey Ireland, nice to meet ya

Well I'm here. And it's sweet.

The flight was okay. Highlights include: a German woman spilling coffee on me, a Queen Latifah movie, and "pasta dish." Sleeping wasn't really in the cards for me, so I got some reading done instead.

When we landed, I was convinced it wasn't Ireland. It was sunny and about 70 F without a cloud in the sky. But then I saw the green rolling hills, farms, and a Guinness store and was reassured that we were in fact in Ireland.

Took a really nice bus to Kildare St in center city Dublin. The roads on the left really freaked me out. I stepped out and saw James Joyce. A statue, unfortunately. In front of the writer's museum. Then grabbed a cab to my apartment. I asked my cabbie if he recommended anything for the first day in Dublin and his response was, "Get pissed."

Got to the apartments and was pleasantly surprised. It's right across from Merrion Sq on Fitzwilliam St/Cumberland Road. Unpacked and got situated. We started a fire by accident trying to plug in some speakers, but no big deal.

Went to Grafton St. (think 5th Ave NYC meets Georgetown meets really old buildings) to get a phone. I opted to pay 5 euro extra so as to avoid getting a fluorescent pink phone which my roommates apparently thought was a good idea. Upon leaving the store, they all immediately regretted their decisions. Me-1, Them-0. We had lunch at a crepe place by Trinity. Mad good.

Got back and took a nap. We hit up Temple Bar last night. Went to two music pubs- Fitzsimon's and The Mezz. Ended up successfully fooling the one man band at Fitzsimon's that I was a Dublin native after his set. Success.

Just got back from another trip around St. Stephen's Green/Grafton Street. Had lunch at a place called McDonald's to get a real flavor of the country. Turns out it was just some bloke who lived in CA with an Irish last name who made a fast food joint.

Really lovin it here so far. It's a lot of fun and all the natives are mad nice. The brogue is awesome. Hoping the Irish lit classes will be equally amazing as everything else has been so far. We got 7 days before class, so gonna try to take advantage of that time and explore.

Still not totally happy with the blog yet- tryin to figure out what I should actually write about rather than rambling on like an idiot. I'll do some soul searching on the lawn of St. Stephen's Green and figure it out a bit more. It's gonna be an awesome place to get writing/reading done. So stoked.

That's all for now. Not sure when I'll post again.

Slainte!

p.s. the entrance to my apartment looks like a prison visiting room

4 comments:

  1. Hey, terrific job on the brogue, Josh! You fooled someone already which must be a new record. Also, starting a fire on your first day in Ireland may also be some kind of record. So glad you had that Guinness nearby to pour on it. Just kidding! So glad the weather has been great so you can explore without rain gear. Find that bike yet? I'm still praying about that, Lovie. <3 Nook

    ReplyDelete
  2. hilarious re: the bar scene. the girls are going to have to watch you and your tricky ways closely :)... you already sound like you've been there a year... and clearly are a laid back traveler.. rock on! your philly cuz'n

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo on the brogue bravado:) Grandy tried fooling everyone that way when he was in Ireland by giving them his best: "Ah, te-ta, te-ta, te-ta, potatoes!" Opened doors for him every time. Try it. See what happens. Heh-heh. You sound so acclimated already. Wow. We loved St. Stephen's Green. And didn't we also dine at McDonald's (named for a character in the Scottish play, right?)? On Saturdays, we didn't realize they close all the restaurants early so they can clean them up and open early for serious Guinness guzzling. Only place open? You got it: McD's. Enjoy, enjoy and know we love your blog. Your "ramblings" are delightful, Laddie. Much love, sha

    ReplyDelete