Things have been pretty hectic in Dublin lately. Goin back a couple of weeks, we had 16 of our Georgetown friends living in Florence this semester stay with us for a few days. We showed them the sights we knew and added a few to our repertoire. Among the new activities were a stroll through Trinity College, a tour of the Jameson Distillery, and a "wild" day at the Phoenix Park Zoo.
During my novitiate to becoming a hermit, I decided to break the code and venture into public for a concert at the National Concert Hall. The program was pretty much tailored to me- Ravel's Tombeau de Couperin, Debussy's symphonic Nocturnes, and R. Strauss' Don Quixote. While the National Symphony Orchestra (a division of the RTE television network, oddly enough) wasn't a Philadelphia Orchestra or Cleveland Orchestra, they were still pretty sick and the concert was awesome. There's some history to the National Concert Hall itself. Once the original University College Dublin founded by the recently canonized John Henry Newman, the concert hall used to be part of the classroom building where Joyce roamed about. It was also pretty cool to think that the music I was listening to was really big in Joyce's day (probably a stretch for Dublin, though). The French post-/impressionism inspired me to be reflective and finish up those papers.
So good to see an update, Josh! I knew you were in Amsterdam this weekend so hadn't really expected an update tonight. I also knew you were busy with many papers before you went & I'm glad to know you got to that concert for some inspiration for your writing. Music always speaks to your heart & I'm glad you're getting to some classical concerts as well as the great Irish pub music. The Guinness ain't bad either, right? Here's hoping you can have a bit of a breather after that last batch of papers & will be able to report on Amsterdam. :) You certainly are packing a lot of great experiences into your time there! Hope your cold is gone & that you have some sweet, sunny(?)Irish days, me lad. Love, Nook
ReplyDelete