You're full of Blarney!
Blarney, Co. Cork
It tasted quite good... yum!
After kissing what's considered the world's most unhygienic tourist attraction, we explored the grounds of the Castle for a while. The flora and fauna was really amazing. We saw a druid circle, palm trees, and (you guessed it!) cows. We parted ways with our new cattle friends and returned to Cork city for some exploring. The city seemed to be crawling with 14-15 y.o. hoodlums wearing the same hair cut and sporting the same tacky track jackets. We found this very amusing. Anyway, we stopped in a cathedral, trekked through a food market (in an "arcade"), and grabbed some dinner in the food capital of Ireland. Quite naturally, I ordered fish and chips with Guinness on my never-ending quest to find the best of both.
That night, we hit the town on a pretty lengthy pub crawl. Some of the places we stopped in were called "The Wash" and "The Brog" (pronounced"brogue"). They were really authentic; consisting of limited lighting, awesome old wooden furniture and paneling, and Irish men fighting. We had ourselves some great craic (means "fun" in Irish) but exhaustion hit us like a freight train on our trek back to UCC.
We left around noon to head back to Dublin. That was Cork in 24 hours.
Also, I heard a funny Irish joke while I was there: Ireland would sink to the bottom of the Atlantic if it weren't for Cork.
Backtracking a bit and pulling a Joyce-ian retroactive arrangment on you guys, I paid a visit to the Dublin Writers Museum in Parnell Square on Friday. The place was crawling with history. I saw countless first editions, signed copies of books, notes and letters, and personal items of all the authors. The exhibit started with Jonathan Swift and took me on a journey through Irish literary history through Beckett. There were sections on Moore, Stoker, Wilde, Shaw, Synge, Yeats, Lady Gregory, The Abbey Theatre, Joyce, Flann O'Brien, Heaney, O'Casey, Kavanagh, and many more. One of the highlights for me was listening to a recording of Joyce reading an excerpt from "Ulysses." Man, did that dude have a brogue. I got to touch Joyce's piano too. A pleasant surprise in the museum was George Handel's chair from the premier of "The Messiah" (which was in Dublin in case you guys didn't know that). There was a rope to prevent people from sitting on it but I totally did anyway. So legit. Also, I wasn't supposed to take pictures but managed to covertly snap some low quality non-flash shots of the Joyce first editions:
What a weekend! I'll have to review my geneology notes to see if any of our kin came from Cork. I know ALL of our family seems blessed with the gift of Blarney. :) And, I'm looking forward to amazing my friends with the fact that Handel's Messiah premiered in Dublin because I never knew that before. I don't blame you for a second hopping the rope & sitting on Handel's chair. You'd have kicked yourself if you hadn't. And now I'll let you go so you can shop for one of those popular track jackets, Josh. Hahaha. Love, Nook
ReplyDeleteOMG, Josh. I love your lyrical accounts of your delightful travels. Of course you enjoyed the writers' museum, young Writer. Did you want to just absorb (like by osmosis) all the creative vibes of those awesome authors? How far from the museum are you living? I was of the mind you might be not too far from it. Speaking of writing, I think you'd qualify for writing a tour guide book on the pubs and clubs:) Keep the faith, Laddie.
ReplyDeleteLove ya, Sha
Sounds like you are really doing all you can to see all you can, kiss all you can, and live, learn, laugh, and love your time there! Not to mention all the rebel rope jumping & pub crawling... party on!
ReplyDelete